1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
3. You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
4. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
5. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
6. You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
7. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
9. You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative
10. And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can
and should do for themselves.
I wish I could take credit for writing these but I can’t. They were written in 1916 by William J. H. Boetcker. He was born in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. as a young adult. Ronald Reagan was impressed enough with these thoughts that he quoted them in his 1992 speech at the Republican Convention in Houston.
It appears to me that the current policies of our Government (at all levels) violate every one of these “Cannots”. As we are getting into the campaign and election season, all of us in Grays Harbor County need to apply these “Cannots” to the candidates we are supporting and voting for. This should be done at every level of government from City Council to President of the United States.
I would encourage everyone who believes in these “Cannots” to fully support those candidates that share this belief. While “fully support” certainly means voting for these candidates; there is much more to “fully support” than that. “Fully Support” includes volunteering your time and, if possible, your money. Candidates need help in a myriad of tasks both public and non-public and are flexible with the amount of time you can spare. I am sure any candidate would be grateful for two hours per week. With the electronic age upon us, many of these tasks can be done from home. We also know that it costs money to get elected.
If will all do a few things, no one will have to do everything. If we are going to change the current course of our government, it will take the effort of all of us. Please contact a candidate of your choice and volunteer. You will not only have an opportunity to redirect our Country to the proper path but also meet some great people.
Rev. Boetcker also penned the “Seven National Crimes”
1. I don’t think.
2. I don’t know.
3. I don’t care.
4. I am too busy.
5. I leave well enough alone.
6. I have no time to read and find out.
7. I am not interested.
Please don’t commit any to these “Crimes”.
Get Involved Today!!!